Welcome

So, this is my first attempt at a blog. Hopefully writing it won't take as much time as it took setting it up. :)

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Tony Stark As the Nuclear Option: Comics and Political Science

It seems I got nothing to say this week.  My week of comic books covers the range of the Shoah to Iron Man II but I don’t have much else to say on either thing.  I did find something interesting while watching Iron Man II that relates to another class I am taking.  This week in my political science class we are discussing the four forms of force.  One of these forms is deterrence.  In class, we discussed how it is impossible to know if deterrence is working because if it is working then nothing happens.  But it could be that nothing is happening because nobody is plotting anything.  In Iron Man II during Tony Stark’s testimony to a Senate committee, he states that he is the United States deterrence and the world’s longest lasting peace was because of him. Maybe he is a deterrent and maybe nothing was going on because all the u enemies were off doing something else during that time.
Guess you just had to be there.

2 comments:

  1. Detterance is definatly a hard thing to determine. Although I do not know much about political science, I do have a little understanding of detterance. i do see that Tony Stark was a big detterant in the second movie because no one wants to mess with Iron Man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have to argue with Cypher. Stark was a deterrent because nobody had the technology to match his. If he was on a level playing field with everyone else he wouldn't have been much of a deterrent. I mean once some one was on par with his abilities, he became a target. There's an old proverb, "The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut by the lawnmower," Tony Stark was just waiting for his lawnmower. Then nothing really can be assured, but that you have to be aware that if you advance to fast you get seen as a threat because you are a threat in the sense that if you can dominate them its better for them to under cut you early then to let you get farther ahead.

    ReplyDelete